COVID-19 - What ABU is doing.
Yesterday, I did a live stream addressing the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and some of the steps we are taking to protect our customers and team. An archive of the live stream is available to watch at abulive.com.
Here is a brief overview of the steps we've already taken to protect our staff and customers:
- Requiring our team members to wash hands thoroughly at least every two hours.
- Requiring our team members to wear gloves and take extra precautions when handling any products that could be transferred to a customer.
- Cleaning our facilities more regularly than usual.
- Encouraging those on our team that have potentially been exposed to someone sick to stay home, and providing those that are feeling unwell with adequate sick leave, regardless of their previous sick leave usage or time with our organization.
- Asking customers that are sick and would like to pick up their products at our facilities to either stay home or call/email in advance to work with us to get their products in a way that creates the least chance of transmission of any illness.
- We are postponing our ABU-5 birthday event until further notice. We are unsure when the event will be rescheduled, and we will be following the guidelines of local and federal government to help us make that decision. Right now we are targeting the late Summer to reschedule.
Regarding our inventory and supply chain:
We ramped up production in December, preparing for the Chinese New Year. Our warehouses worldwide are well stocked, and we continue to have cargo moving around the world. At this moment, we’re confident that our stock levels on most products will not be affected by the virus unless the situation drastically changes and for a prolonged period of time. With respect to the entire situation, we will continue to follow all guidelines set out by the FDA, CDC, Local and Federal governments.
With regard to our manufacturing and inventory:
The majority of our products do in fact come from China. Experts tell us that the length of time needed for inventory to cross the ocean and enter our warehouses creates a natural buffer that eliminates the potential of the virus being transmitted from our manufacturing facilities. Even in the best of times when no virus pandemic is present, our diapers are made in sanitary, FDA regulated facilities that include air blasters upon entry, UV air treatment, extensive air filtration, and all staff on the assembly team are required to wear protective garments.
Some frequently asked questions:
- So I want to order a package from you now - can I get sick from handling/opening that package?
- We want to reassure our customers that the World Health Organization has advised as follows: "The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low."
- Should I be stocking up on your products now so that I do not run out?
- We do not believe, at this time, that we will run out of stock before our supply chain returns to a more normal status. Our team is monitoring stock levels and conditions pertaining to inbound/outbound shipments on a real time basis, and making adjustments accordingly.
- Will you be put limits on ordering?
- We may do this if we feel that too many customers are attempting to hoard our inventory, or if the situation drastically changes and for a prolonged period of time.
Our teammates aren’t just the people that pack your diapers - they are our friends and adopted family. We would also not be here without our customers. We care about this community and its wellbeing, and we will take whatever measures are necessary and possible to ensure everyone's safety.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and keep our customers informed through our usual communication channels.
Please stay safe out there. Practice common sense and don't panic. Wash your hands regularly and please check on and help those that may have a harder time fighting off this virus.
We will all pull through this together.
Casey B. Strom
We'd like to congratulate our winner of the ''Across the ABUniverse" raffle - Mischief_Maison on Twitter! They will receive the same benefits for the event, just joining us for a different date.